INDUSTRY GROUP FOR RESPONSIBLE GAMBLING
The Betting and Gaming Council coordinates the work for the Industry Group for Responsible Gambling (IGRG).
Members of the Betting and Gaming Council adhere to the The Industry Group for Responsible Gambling (IGRG) Code for Socially Responsible Advertising.
Established in 2014 and incorporated November 2015, IGRG's mission is to provide a structure to better promote socially responsible gambling across all gambling sectors in the UK. This unique opportunity afforded by the collaboration of all trade association heads to form a single body, demonstrates industry's commitment to openly share information and continue to develop, improve and promote best social responsibility practices.
The Industry Group for Responsible Gambling (IGRG) has recently published the sixth edition of the Industry Code for Socially Responsible Advertising (‘the Industry Code’).
It has always been the case that when breaches of the code are identified that the company concerned has taken remedial action once it is brought to their attention. However, if this was ever not the case then the industry will look to the Gambling Commission to encourage companies to be compliant. This is provided for in the Commission’s Licence Conditions and Codes of Practice. In particular Ordinary Code provision 5.1.8 states that "Licensees should also follow any relevant industry code of practice on advertising, notably the Gambling Industry Code for Socially Responsible Advertising."
Any possible breaches of the code should be reported to: email@example.com If possible please refer to the relevant specific code requirement and where the alleged breach was noticed. Any other details would, of course, be welcome. The IGRG will then consider the case before responding and placing a summary of the complaint and the decision on the website. When doing this the complainant’s details will not be included.
PLATFORMS LISTED FOR 18+ TARGETING
The platforms below are allowed to be used by IGRG signatories for 18+ targeting rather than 25+ after providing evidence of the accuracy of their targeting.
- Snap (from 10th May 2021)
KEY REQUIREMENTS OF THE CODE FOR MEMBERS
1. Include reference to www.begambleaware.org in all print and broadcast adverts - para 27
2. www.begambleaware.org must be presented in accordance with the requirement - para 30
3. Television watershed: product restrictions - para 32
4. Television watershed: sign up offers and references to other products - para 34
5. Safer gambling messages within every television advert - para 39
6. Television advertising: minimum size of text - para 44.
7. Radio messaging – para 45.
8. Adult only messaging – para 46
9. Online banner advertising click-through – para 47
10. Sports’ sponsorships restrictions - para 48
11. Sponsorship of television programmes, inclusion of www.begambleaware.org - para 50
12. Social Media marketing – paras 53-55
13. Promoting consumer awareness – para 57
14. Keyword blacklist – para 59
15. Affiliate activity – para 61